01 November 2007

Thursday Thirteen #4




THIRTEEN FAVORITE CHRISTMAS QUOTES

1. Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful. ~ Norman Vincent Peale

2.
He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree. ~ Roy L. Smith

3.
I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round, as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. ~ Charles Dickens

4.
The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other. ~ Burton Hillis

5.
Happy, happy Christmas, that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days; that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, back to his own fire-side and his quiet home! ~ Charles Dickens

6.
What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace. ~ Agnes M. Pharo

7.
Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time. ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

8.
I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. ~ Charles Dickens

9.
It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air. ~ W.T. Ellis

10.
Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen. ~ Author unknown, attributed to a 7-year-old named Bobby

11.
I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month. ~ Harlan Miller

12.
Let Christmas not become a thing
Merely of merchant's trafficking,
Of tinsel, bell and holly wreath
And surface pleasure, but beneath
The childish glamour, let us find
Nourishment for soul and mind.
Let us follow kinder ways
Through our teeming human maze,
And help the age of peace to come
From a Dreamer's martyrdom.
~ Madeline Morse

13.
I sometimes think we expect too much of Christmas Day. We try to crowd into it the long arrears of kindliness and humanity of the whole year. As for me, I like to take my Christmas a little at a time, all through the year. And thus I drift along into the holidays - let them overtake me unexpectedly - waking up some find morning and suddenly saying to myself: "Why, this is Christmas Day!" ~ David Grayson

* * *

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!



Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

I love #4. I think #5&6 are the same.
Happy TT!

Oct 31, 2007, 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Serina Hope said...

Great list. I really love number 4. Happy TT!

Oct 31, 2007, 11:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good list.

Happy TT.

Oct 31, 2007, 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger Raggedy said...

Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Oct 31, 2007, 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Okay, I'm still in awe that Santa's Elf has typed this. SHOCK AND AWE.

Oct 31, 2007, 11:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just made me realize that Christmas is just around the corner! Time flies so fast!

Happy Thursday!

Nov 1, 2007, 12:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the first quote by Norman Vincent Peale..and I think it's very true. What a beautiful TT. Happy Thursday!

Nov 1, 2007, 1:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list! What about "Bah, humbug!"

Nov 1, 2007, 1:35:00 AM  
Blogger SJ Reidhead said...

I am such a Scrooge, I like Christmas things when it isn't Christmas!

The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Nov 1, 2007, 2:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Christmas and it reminds me too that I will be a year older that month..lol

Mine is up here;
Thursday Thirteen
Happy TT and Happy Halloween!

Nov 1, 2007, 7:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great quotes...I especially love #'s 3 & 4.
Happy TT!

Nov 1, 2007, 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting..thanks for sharing..

Nov 1, 2007, 12:02:00 PM  
Blogger Joyismygoal said...

Love Dickens love Christmas

Nov 1, 2007, 3:06:00 PM  
Blogger Aisling said...

ooooh, I really like this post.

Nov 1, 2007, 8:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home