13 November 2007

Holiday Eggnog

I remember my mother making eggnog for me when I was recovering from a bad cold or flu, extolling the virtues of the protein rich drink. But best of all, I recall the large punch bowl of festive eggnog that sat in the middle of the table on Christmas Eve, for family and visitors alike.

I have tried to duplicate her recipe, and the closest I've ever come is this recipe from the Company's Coming Holiday Entertaining cookbook.

Ingredients:

12 eggs
3 1/4 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vanilla (pure, if you can)
10 cups milk (I splurge, calorie wise, and use homogenized)
*Brandy (or rum, rye, scotch)
Nutmeg for garnish

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until very light and lemon colored.

Gradually beat in the sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in milk, using a larger container if needed. *Add liquor. Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. To serve, run small batches through blender to foam up. To store for a few days, keep covered in refrigerator. Garnish with nutmeg.

This recipe yields about 25 (5oz) punch cups.

* Alcohol may be completely omitted -- substitute rum flavoring instead.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home