08 November 2007

Thursday Thirteen #5




THIRTEEN BITS OF CHRISTMAS FOLKLORE

1. "To have good health throughout the next year, eat an apple on Christmas Eve."

2. "Eat plum pudding on Christmas and avoid losing a friend before next Christmas."

3. "On Chrismas Eve all animals can speak. However, it is bad luck to test this superstition."

4. "The child born on Christmas Day will have a special fortune."

5. "Wearing new shoes on Christmas Day will bring bad luck."

6. In Ireland it is believed the gates of Heaven open at midnight on Christmas Eve. Those who die then go straight to Heaven.

7. If you refuse a mince pie at Christmas dinner, you will have bad luck for the coming day.

8. If you eat a raw egg before eating anything else on Christmas morning, you will be able to carry heavy weights.

9. "Snow on Christmas means Easter will be green."

10. "Good luck will come to the home where a fire is kept burning throughout the Christmas season.

11. "Place shoes by side on Christmas Eve to prevent a quarreling family."

12. "A clear star-filled sky on Christmas Eve will bring good crops in the summer."

13. "A blowing wind on Christmas Day brings good luck."

And two more for good measure:

14. You will have as many happy months in the coming year, as the number of houses you eat mince pies in during Christmastime.

15. "Shout 'Christmas Gift' to the first person knocking on your door on Christmas Day and expect to receive a gift from the visitor.

* * *

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!



Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had a minced pie so I might have to try one! I can't believe the holidays are already upon us! Happy TT!

Nov 8, 2007, 9:58:00 AM  
Blogger Patti said...

These are great! I think I've only heard of the third one.

Do you think I could start shouting "Christmas Gift" now every time I open the door and get a gift!?!?! ;) hehe

Where has the year gone? Happy Thursday!!!

Nov 8, 2007, 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

Those are great!
Happy TT!

Nov 8, 2007, 10:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice list! I'll try some of those ;)

Your blog makes me so much looking forward to Christmas!

Happy TT!

Greets Julia

Nov 8, 2007, 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have never heard most of these, but found it very interesting...can't do the minced pie though, never discovered a liking for it, if hubby eats my portion do you think that will count?
Nice T13!

Nov 8, 2007, 11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Sandee said...

I didn't know any of these. I so love Christmas. 46 more days. Have a great TT. :)

Nov 8, 2007, 1:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't leave your site because I LOVE the music :)
Happy TT!

Nov 8, 2007, 1:12:00 PM  
Blogger She Became a Butterfly said...

I love Christmas!

Nov 8, 2007, 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love Christmas and these are wonderful! Happy TT

Nov 8, 2007, 5:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I eat plum pudding every Xmas!

Nov 8, 2007, 10:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home